Nutrition has risen significantly on the global agenda in the last decade, spurred in part by the findings from the first Lancet Series on Maternal and Child Undernutrition in 2008. The follow-on Series in 2013 came at a critical time alongside the Nutrition for Growth event in London. The growth of the SUN Movement, the past Nutrition for Growth convenings and five consecutive Global Nutrition Reports have also served to energize nutrition stakeholders, broaden a coalition of champions and, most importantly, generate new investments in the sector.
Thirteen years after the first series, on March 8, 2021 at 9 a.m. ET the authors will review the progress achieved and provide new analyses. The Series highlights how the evidence base for nutrition, health, food systems, social protection, and water, sanitation and hygiene interventions have evolved since the 2013 Series and identifies the priority actions needed to regain and accelerate progress within the next decade.
We will hear from the following Lancet authors and nutrition champions (in order of appearance):
- Dr. Ellen Piwoz, Moderator
- Dr. Robert E. Black, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
- Dr. Cesar Victora, International Center for Equity in Health, Federal University of Pelotas
- Dr. Zulfiqar A. Bhutta, Centre for Global Child Health, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto; Institute for Global Health & Development, The Aga Khan University
- Dr. Rebecca Heidkamp, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD
- Dr. Sania Nishtar, Special Assistant of the Prime Minister of Pakistan on Poverty Alleviation and Social Protection
- Dr. Meera Shekar, Global Lead, Health, Nutrition & Population at The World Bank
- Dr. Ruth Oniang’o, Founder, Rural Outreach Africa
- Shawn Baker, Chief Nutritionist, USAID
The Series will serve as an important milestone moment to reinvigorate the nutrition community and re-energize champions to propel the nutrition agenda forward into 2021, the Nutrition for Growth (N4G) Year of Action, a roadmap of key events throughout the year. The Year of Action will culminate in the UN Food Systems Summit in September 2021 and the Tokyo N4G Summit in December 2021.